Θέλετε να αντιδράσετε στο μήνυμα; Φτιάξτε έναν λογαριασμό και συνδεθείτε για να συνεχίσετε.

ΦόρουμΕικονοθήκηLatest imagesΕγγραφήΣύνδεση

Μοιραστείτε | 

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld

Επισκόπηση προηγούμενης Θ.Ενότητας Επισκόπηση επόμενης Θ.Ενότητας Πήγαινε κάτω 
Μετάβαση στη σελίδα : Επιστροφή  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Επόμενο
ΣυγγραφέαςΜήνυμα
socrates
vstromhellasforum Fanatic
socrates

Τόπος : Αθήνα, Χαλκίδα
Registration date : 25/06/2010

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Empty
ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΣαβ Μαρ 02 2013, 21:17

Greg I like the quote on your helmet!

It is good to know that many Greek and Italian riders have embraced your project and gave you a great deal of information for your trip. If there's anything else you need, don't hesitate to ask.

Have in mind that here in Greece you may find it more difficult to navigate (compared to your past trip to England) because of the lack of proper signing of roads. Also many people don't speak English, especially older village people. You will most probably, sense the adventurous part of the trip you wish for Wink

As far it concerns camping during summer time in Greece you have countless options and free camping is not a crime (there is a tolerance). I am not an experienced camper but you can find campsites and camping locations at websites like e-camping.gr or you can order an annual guide like this one http://sales.campingreece.gr . One general tip is to target not only historical landmarks but also coastal places and beaches of unparalleled natural beauty. Don't forget despite all its current tribulations and serious challenges, Greece is blessed to be a country of great natural beauty and wonderful people.
Επιστροφή στην κορυφή Πήγαινε κάτω
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

Registration date : 16/02/2013

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Empty
ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΣαβ Μαρ 02 2013, 21:38

socrates έγραψε:
Greg I like the quote on your helmet!

It is good to know that many Greek and Italian riders have embraced your project and gave you a great deal of information for your trip. If there's anything else you need, don't hesitate to ask.

Have in mind that here in Greece you may find it more difficult to navigate (compared to your past trip to England) because of the lack of proper signing of roads. Also many people don't speak English, especially older village people. You will most probably, sense the adventurous part of the trip you wish for Wink
Thanks! That's why I try to keep my route as easy as possible - in Britain it was a simple anti-clockwise run of the island, and in this case the run through Greece and the Balkan is on the same level pretty much. Keep going South till I run out of land, then East till I get to Athens, and then back up again towards the West-coast. If I then make an error, I can use my compass to make a dash for a nearby coast or border. Ofcourse this isn't foolproof, but that's also the adventure I guess Smile
Παράθεση :

As far it concerns camping during summer time in Greece you have countless options and free camping is not a crime (there is a tolerance). I am not an experienced camper but you can find campsites and camping locations at websites like e-camping.gr or you can order an annual guide like this one http://sales.campingreece.gr . One general tip is to target not only historical landmarks but also coastal places and beaches of unparalleled natural beauty. Don't forget despite all its current tribulations and serious challenges, Greece is blessed to be a country of great natural beauty and wonderful people.
Hmm other people I've talked to said that free camping is frowned upon, as it limits the business for the regular camp sites. I therefore see it as more of a last resort - in my experience, you meet all kinds of interesting people at a camp site.
socrates
socrates

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΣαβ Μαρ 02 2013, 23:05

DekatriaProject έγραψε:

Παράθεση :

Hmm other people I've talked to said that free camping is frowned upon, as it limits the business for the regular camp sites. I therefore see it as more of a last resort - in my experience, you meet all kinds of interesting people at a camp site.

I guess if you have to choose between a regular camp site and free camping where you have both options, it's a heck of a lot easier to choose the first option. However regular camp sites are limited, the "good ones" even further. It depends mostly on what you are seeking and the time you have to arrange things.
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΚυρ Μαρ 03 2013, 11:37

socrates έγραψε:
I guess if you have to choose between a regular camp site and free camping where you have both options, it's a heck of a lot easier to choose the first option. However regular camp sites are limited, the "good ones" even further. It depends mostly on what you are seeking and the time you have to arrange things.
Ah, thanks for the heads up - I was already planning what possibilities I have when it comes to camp sites near my route. Only problem is I don't really know day for day where I'm going to be in Greece...
al_tzamp
vstromhellasforum Enthusiast
al_tzamp

Τόπος : Σέρρες - Αθήνα
Registration date : 29/01/2009

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΚυρ Μαρ 03 2013, 13:16

Hello Greg,

I checked out your posts on other forums, as well as Fb and the site but this is the first time I write to you.
Its a great cause you're riding for and you have my respect for that!

I hope that the trip itself exceeds your expectations!
Since you're coming anyway there's no point in telling you how beautiful Greece is.. Laughing
You'll check it out yourself!

Keep in mind a few tips:

-The great majority of camping sites in Greece are by the seaside. I can't say much about camping as I am not a camper myself, but for sure you can find info online for that. panhellenic-camping-union.gr
Make a few notes before you start, the rest you can find on the way.

-English should't be a problem unless you are lost somewhere high up in a mountain. In any case the closer you are in tourist locations the better chance you have to find English speakers.

-Rain in Greece is a lot different than North Europe. Up there you often have this rain-no-rain thing where everything is soaked but you do not see any drops falling!! Down here in the summer it probably lasts only 15min to 30min but you better hide when it comes! Keep this in mind also for your camping arrangements.

-Roads are not always properly maintained. This gets worse as you get further away from main roads. In any case it is slippery - nothing to compare with roads in The Netherlands! Even worse, in the summer roads are covered in dust because of the dry climate!

-Food: The further away from civilization you are, the better the food, the cheaper the prices! Not that you can't get that anywhere else though..!

-Accomodation: Summer peak season is around 1-15 August . Within that time-frame availability might be an issue in popular areas. Also prices tend to go up a bit.

Since your route is not yet clearly defined, let me point out that your options are vast!

You are coming to a country where you can wake up in a camp site by the sea, have a swim in the morning, ride your bike to the top of the nearest mountain, have a cup of coffee/ or lunch and be back at the camp site (same one or another one down your route) in time for an afternoon swim!
You can start your day in the Ionean sea and at lunch time be looking at the Aegean sea!

Distances are relatively short, but it is upon you to decide how much and what you want to see.

I will try and make a short list of not-to-be-missed sites and post it here.

Currently I live in Germany close to Aachen. I was thinking of checking out Rotterdam anyway sometime this year, so if you're interested we can have a beer and talk about route options.

My best wishes to you!
Ride safe!
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΚυρ Μαρ 03 2013, 14:53

Thanks for the tips and support Alex, much appreciated! Let me know when you're coming to Rotterdam, I'd be thrilled to talk about the route and exchange thoughts.

DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Μαρ 19 2013, 18:22

Fundraising the roof!l

How's that for a horrible pun? Very Happy

With four months until lift-off, I thought it would be nice to make the fundraising a little more concrete. Henceforth, I opened up a 'Donate'-section on the site. Amongst other things, it shows you the way to the all new StayClassy fundraising page where you can already contribute with some of your precious hard-earned cash. When the Ebay auctions start in September I will put all the respective Ebay links on the Donate page as well. So spread the word!

Speaking of which, I've also made the decision to make the helmet auction an international affair, and put it on Ebay alongside the other auctions. This way, all of you followers abroad will have a chance to pitch in as well, and maybe earn yourself the helmet. How awesome is that? Smile

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 2013022601b

In other news, riding has sort of resumed the past week... the only bad thing is that the Spring here in the Netherlands seems to have trouble waking up. Temperatures continue to balance around zero degrees, making the riding a tiptoe kind of thing as one of my golden rules for riding safety is not to bother when temperatures get below zero. Too much risk for slippery surfaces and road salt. I can deal with rain, hail and everything else the weather throws at me, but freezing temperatures are just a big no-no.

So I expect some rising temperatures the coming days. This has gone on for long enough!

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 130318
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Απρ 02 2013, 21:43

My Greek compadres, it seems that I'm in need of assistance.

During my drive through Great Britain I noticed that my rear tire wore more rapidly than expected - upon arrival home the tire was right down (and just over) the legal limit. It had done 8000km, 4200 of which had been fully loaded. It's currently on a fresh set and prior to the trip it'll get new shoes again, but I know that this Summer I'm likely to run into the same problem eventually... so I've tried looking for substitutes which would be able to survive 7000-8000km fully loaded without a problem.

It seems however that when it comes to tires Michelin's Anakee 2 is the best I can manage for my bike. Others have worse road behavior and/or worse wear.

This brings me to the following - it is then likely that when I get to Greece, I will be in need of fresh rubber. The front will probably last for the entire trip, but the rear probably won't... so I need a pit stop. This can be anywhere in Greece as far's I'm concerned, as long as they can supply the tire I need (Michelin Anakee 2 120/90 -17 64S TT) and they're willing to change it. I can remove the wheel from the bike myself, the rest will be decidedly more delicate.

Any thoughts? Ευχαριστω.
terino
gold member
gold member
terino

Τόπος : Athens
Registration date : 15/01/2008

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Απρ 02 2013, 21:47

Well... if you'll need the pitstop in Athens there are many of us who will even take you by hand and show you the way... for the rest of the cities someone will show up, don't worry. You will not be disapponted by the hospitality! cheers
http://www.schoolofdance.gr
stam
gold member
gold member
stam

Τόπος : πάνω στη σέλα...
Registration date : 19/11/2009

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Απρ 02 2013, 21:59

as a well-organized forum we have special offers for our members. You are a member now of this forum and you can ask for an offer at every store that is friendly and co-working.

Here in Athens for example one of the stores that have offered us with good prices and have proven their quality service is "Peristeras".
Here you can see the prices they offered us and decide wether they're good or not.

Hope I helped...! cheers!
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Απρ 02 2013, 22:15

stam έγραψε:
as a well-organized forum we have special offers for our members. You are a member now of this forum and you can ask for an offer at every store that is friendly and co-working.

Here in Athens for example one of the stores that have offered us with good prices and have proven their quality service is "Peristeras".
Here you can see the prices they offered us and decide wether they're good or not.

Hope I helped...! cheers!
Looks interesting! Are the prices listed for changing a pair, or just 1 tire?
terino
gold member
gold member
terino

Τόπος : Athens
Registration date : 15/01/2008

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Απρ 02 2013, 22:20

Pair
http://www.schoolofdance.gr
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Απρ 02 2013, 22:22

terino έγραψε:
Pair
Then 220 is a good price indeed Smile
george83
george83

Τόπος : Κυψέλη
Registration date : 06/12/2009

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Απρ 02 2013, 22:42

I think this is your size http://www.tyreshop.gr/Product/1127/Page/244/el/
Right?

Come here and we are going to help you.
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΤρι Απρ 02 2013, 23:24

george83 έγραψε:
I think this is your size http://www.tyreshop.gr/Product/1127/Page/244/el/
Right?

Come here and we are going to help you.
Yes, those are the exact dimensions Smile thanks for the reassurance!
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΠαρ Απρ 12 2013, 18:58

In the latest update, I'm giving a rundown of my clothing apparel for this Summer. If you have any suggestions for additions to be made, feel free to let me know! Smile
socrates
socrates

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΠαρ Απρ 12 2013, 21:53

DekatriaProject έγραψε:
In the latest update, I'm giving a rundown of my clothing apparel for this Summer. If you have any suggestions for additions to be made, feel free to let me know! Smile

Your gear is OK! Some general tips.

Above everything else, your motorcycle gear is an investment in your safety. Always have in mind that the only thing between your skin and the road is what you are wearing (worst case scenario). Specialized synthetic materials are offering good protection but summer-only jackets are not as much durable as some convertibles with removable inner linings that they can be used "all" year round. Although it is a good idea for traveling in Greece to have a summer-only jacket which is thin and highly perforated for ventilation, -but still have armor-.

In any case a good jacket will include heavy padding on the elbow, spine (maybe a d3o armor) and the shoulders. Many riders wear jeans, but it's worth it to invest in pants made specifically for motorcycle riders.

You want to be safe, but as a long distance traveler you also want to be comfortable. Invest for a second pair of gloves for a warmer weather. Riding without gloves it is not a good idea. I have some bad memories of sunburns on the top of my wrists.
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΠαρ Απρ 12 2013, 22:02

socrates έγραψε:
DekatriaProject έγραψε:

Your gear is OK! Some general tips.

Above everything else, your motorcycle gear is an investment in your safety. Always have in mind that the only thing between your skin and the road is what you are wearing (worst case scenario). Specialized synthetic materials are offering good protection but summer-only jackets are not as much durable as some convertibles with removable inner linings that they can be used "all" year round. Although it is a good idea for traveling in Greece to have a summer-only jacket which is thin and highly perforated for ventilation, -but still have armor-.

In any case a good jacket will include heavy padding on the elbow, spine (maybe a d3o armor) and the shoulders. Many riders wear jeans, but it's worth it to invest in pants made specifically for motorcycle riders.

You want to be safe, but as a long distance traveler you also want to be comfortable. Invest for a second pair of gloves for a warmer weather. Riding without gloves it is not a good idea. I have some bad memories of sunburns on the top of my wrists.
Thanks for your feedback socrates! When it comes to gloves, I have a pair for the winter and a pair for summer - this trip, I just take my summer gloves which are made of perforated leather with protection at the knuckles. The coat and pants of the motorcycle suit have all the necessary padding (shoulder, elbow, back and knees) as well - it's just ventilated wherever it's possible Smile
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΚυρ Μάης 05 2013, 23:33

With the motorcycle season finally in full swing here in The Netherlands, time for some fresh poetic motorcycle propaganda! Smile

DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΠεμ Μάης 09 2013, 20:17

Here's the second part on equipment; this time I'm taking you through the gear on the bike. Suggestions are welcome! Smile
socrates
socrates

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΠαρ Μάης 10 2013, 07:42

DekatriaProject έγραψε:
Here's the second part on equipment; this time I'm taking you through the gear on the bike. Suggestions are welcome! Smile

Although I am using my GPS to get somewhere I don't know how to get to, I am trying not to rely on it too much.
After studying the maps and make some googling, it helps to have some key places written on a piece of paper placed in the transparent top of the tankbag as a day after day cheat sheet. For example take a look at the following picture... (Jordan Africano's GPS Version Razz )

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Img0744e

Bilingulal writing also helps (English and local language).
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΠαρ Μάης 10 2013, 11:51

socrates έγραψε:
DekatriaProject έγραψε:

Although I am using my GPS to get somewhere I don't know how to get to, I am trying not to rely on it too much.
After studying the maps and make some googling, it helps to have some key places written on a piece of paper placed in the transparent top of the tankbag as a day after day cheat sheet. For example take a look at the following picture... (Jordan Africano's GPS Version Razz )

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Img0744e

Bilingulal writing also helps (English and local language).
That's how I do it as well Smile In Britain I used a piece of duct tape to scribble the destinations and roadnumbers onto, before sticking it on either my sleeve or on my tankbag.

The GPS Spot Messenger is just so that the homefront can keep track of my progress.
socrates
socrates

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΣαβ Μάης 11 2013, 14:36

DekatriaProject έγραψε:

The GPS Spot Messenger is just so that the homefront can keep track of my progress.

It sounds interesting!
What is the total cost (device + services)?
Any additional service subscription fee for tracking/messaging?

EDIT: I have found one retailer here in Greece. The cost is ?179 for the device (I can find it much cheaper on ebay) and ?204 for 1year subscription (basic+tracking).
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΣαβ Μάης 11 2013, 15:22

I bought mine through Twisted Throttle - I did a joint order with a friend of mine with a variety of other bits and bolts. 100 USD for the device, and the mounting adds another 15 USD. Will be interesting what it amounts to with subscription, shipping and customs Smile
DekatriaProject

DekatriaProject

ΔημοσίευσηΘέμα: Απ: The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld   The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld - Σελίδα 2 Icon_minitimeΣαβ Μάης 25 2013, 13:14

My Greek brethren! I've made a loose schedule of when I'm going to be where in Greece this Summer - if you'd like to tag along or have possible accommodation available around said destinations (all I need is a place to pitch my tent), please feel free to join in Smile

Arrival: 30th of July, Igoumenitsa (accomm. sorted)
31st of July, ride towards Patras area
1st of August, ride towards Kalamata area
2nd of August ride towards Cape Tenaro
3rd of August, ride towards Athens
4th of August, ride towards Lamia/Thermopyleis
5th of August, ride towards Thessaloniki
6th of August (open to suggestions!)
7th of August, cross border into Albania, towards Durrës

Let me hear ya! Very Happy

Έχει επεξεργασθεί από τον/την DekatriaProject στις Σαβ Μάης 25 2013, 17:23, 1 φορά

The Dekatria Project - Greece 2013: a 4400 mile ride to the Underworld

Επισκόπηση προηγούμενης Θ.Ενότητας Επισκόπηση επόμενης Θ.Ενότητας Επιστροφή στην κορυφή 

Παρόμοια θέματα

+
Σελίδα 2 από 5Μετάβαση στη σελίδα : Επιστροφή  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Επόμενο

Δικαιώματα σας στην κατηγορία αυτήΔεν μπορείτε να απαντήσετε στα Θέματα αυτής της Δ.Συζήτησης
 :: ΜΟΤΟΣΥΚΛΕΤΑ-ΑΝΑΒΑΤΗΣ :: International section-
Μετάβαση σε: